Friday, September 28, 2012

Motivation and a Bit of Doubt

I did it!!!!  I registered for my first 5K this morning.  Since I like to keep it real, I will tell you that I am pretty scared.  I have been training using the Couch Potato to 5K program.  I completed Week 8 last night and am now 3 workouts away from completion.  I will also tell you that in this instance, third time is a charm.  The first two times, I didn't make it through Week 3.  The third time around, I slowed down and it has made all the difference.  I won't be setting any speed records, but as has been pointed out to me "if you aren't walking, you are running".


 

There are two ways to work the program - either timed or distance.  I decided on the timed since that was much easier to do on the phone app.  So with only a week to go before completion, I am up to just about two miles.  Don't get me wrong, I am beyond proud of what I have accomplished. A little over a month ago I was struggling to go even half a mile.  My first 5K is a month from tomorrow and in that time, I have to increase my distance by a little over a mile.  I feel determined, but a little overwhelmed at the same time. 

I am sore today, but need to (and will) get back out there again tomorrow.   Although, I am more determined than ever, there is that little voice asking me if I can really do this.  Can I really run three plus miles without stopping?  Am I setting myself up for disappointment and embarrassment?  I have friends coming to run with and support me.  Not to mention a couple that is driving all the way from Plano to take photos so that I will be able to to preserve the memory.  I don't want to disappoint anyone - most of all myself.  I have worked hard for this!





 
Source: 29.media.tumblr.com via Julie on Pinteres
 

 
Stay tuned...I will do my best to post a couple of updates on my progress over the next month. And please, if you have suggestions or words of wisdom, feel free to leave them as a comment. I would love to hear from you! Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you!!! You can do it girl!! You have inspired me to get to it also! I have always wanted to run a half marathon but I don't stick with the training! I just purchased the app you use and I will start it up tomorrow! And I will start looking for a 5k to sign up for to keep me motivated!!Congrats on your accomplishments and I can't wait to see your pics at the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Julie!! What a great accomplishment - 2 miles is nothing to sneeze at! A month left is quite a bit of time. I'm just sure you'll be ready for the full 3 miles by then!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm sure you will do wonderfully on your first 5k! 2 miles is awesome, you will definitely be able to get up to 3 by next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWWWWESOMENESS!!

    You are doing so great, keep it up Julie and you WILL do terrific in your 5k
    xo
    *anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. no you listen here missypants... every day i am out there doing my own c25k i ALWAYS think of you and it's your kind and amazing words that get me through the tough spots.
    when i did my 1st solid 3 minute run today i thought of your suggestions to make it about pace and not distance and i know without a doubt it was your suggestion to do so that got me through...
    SO in saying all that...
    YOU GOT THIS & don't you dare doubt that for a second.
    you have worked your ass off and deserve this & WILL DO IT!!!!

    you rock balls!
    xxoo!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!