Thursday, September 15, 2011

Epic Fail and the First CPR Survivors' Event

Someone, who shall remain unnamed (but you know who you are), asked me yesterday if I was keeping up with my blogging - knowing full well that I wasn't.  To add insult to injury he also threw in "wasn't that one of your goals?"  Ouch....that one hurt!  Yes, in the words of Katy Perry, the 30 Days of Lists has turned out to be "an epic fail".  In theory it sounded like a lot of fun....but when it came right down to it, the topics were kind of strange and instead of being a fun little exercise to get me blogging, it seemed like a chore that unfortunately I was dreading.  Not only that, but the time it was taking me to create the lists, was taking away from me trying to complete the other goals for the month.  If it would have been 30 Days of Small Crafty Projects, I may have hit a home run, but unfortunately it wasn't.  So no excuses, but like I said - "an epic fail" on my part!

Last night, prior to the start of the Ranger game they had a short ceremony celebrating 3 recent CPR saves and to recognize those who directly contributed to their survival.  Most importantly (at least to us), my amazing mom was recognized for providing my dad immediate chest only resuscitation until the paramedics arrived.  We also got to meet the 9-1-1 call taker that stayed on the phone with her until help arrived, as well as the first responders that worked on my dad until they arrived at the ER.  It was pretty emotional because really, how can you ever thank someone enough for saving your life??

Dad talking with one of his first responders

Paramedic in charge and the 9-1-1 call taker

My parents and the first responders

Mom, Dad and Zach

This was as close as I got to the field....once the ceremony actually started, I only got a view of their backs....BOO!

Mom and her Life Saving Award
Close up of the award

Without going into a lot of detail....we came VERY close to losing my dad.  Thank God that my mom was still at home (she was on her way out the door) when he collapsed and that she is a champ under pressure!  It was touch and go for more than an hour.  This happened on a Saturday, he was out of ICU by Monday and was home on Thursday.  His cardiologist said that his recovery was nothing short of miraculous and he quickly became known as "Wonder Boy" around the hospital.  The doctor from the ER came up to his room on Sunday night at the end of his shift because he said that he had to see with his own eyes that my dad had made it.

For those of you that were praying for him as well as the rest of us...thank you from the bottom of my heart. There are no words to describe the gratitude that I feel.  The power of prayer is truly amazing and we felt beyond blessed!  This goes without saying, but every time you see a loved one make sure that they know how you feel and yes, it is OK to hug just a little tighter....I know that I do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!