Friday, October 19, 2012

Running Update

TGIF!  I don't know about you, but I am ready for this weekend.  I worked out of town all last weekend, so I am more than ready for a couple of days off.  No big plans, just looking forward to a little down time.
 
My 5K is one week from tomorrow.  Thank you to all of you that have given me kind words and major support over the last few months.  It has truly meant the world to me!  I wanted to give you an update and a realistic picture of the expectations for the race.  As most of you know, the last couple weeks of the Couch Potato to 5K training program I was battling major "tingly" feet.  Up to that point I had had no pain at all.  I was feeling confident and pretty amazed that I was progressing through the program.  I continued to run....the stubborn streak in me refusing to give up.  I decided to maybe give new shoes a try as I knew that I had not been running in traditional running shoes.  I went to a running store and was properly fitted.  I felt very confident that I was sporting a great pair of shoes.  Fast forward to the next evening.  I went out for my final run in the C25K program and much to my dismay my feet were worse than ever.  I was close to tears because of the frustration.  I was just baffled!  The next morning when I woke up, I could hardly get out of bed, my back was so sore.
 
A few people mentioned that they thought it may have nothing to do with my feet and may in fact be a nerve issue.  With as much pain as I was in, I gave in and visited the chiropractor.  I had two adjustments in a four day period and he told me when I saw even the least bit of improvement I could hit the trails again.  I ended up resting my back for almost two weeks.  There was improvement, but it was far from right.  Wednesday night, I laced up my shoes and headed out with high hopes.  Now mind you, even though I did complete the TIMED C25K program, when I got to the end I was only completing two miles running.   Anyway, just to keep myself on track I used the last workout and had it to guide me through my run.  I finished the workout...running just shy of 2 miles - wait for it.....WITH NO FEET TINGLING!!!!!  But (because there always is one), Thursday morning I was hobbling from, you guessed it - back pain.  On the plus side, I am now certain that it is a back issue and not my feet.
 
As far as the race goes, I am determined to participate.  I am registered and I have friends that have signed up to support me as well.  Will, it be the 5K that I envisioned for myself?  Sadly, I do not think that it is in the cards for me (at least not this time).  I am going to attempt to at least run a portion, but I am definitely going to listen to my body and let it be my guide.  I am sad and frustrated...I can't tell you all how badly I wanted this.  I am going to talk to my doctor and see if he thinks that is something that I am going to be able to work through or if I am not cut out to run.  I don't want to hear, or believe that but I also don't want to end up doing irrepairable damage to my back. 
 
Sorry that I rambled, but I thought that I owed it to all of you that were cheering me on to let you know what was going on with me.  What do you guys think?  Are some people just not cut out to run?  I would love to know what you think.
 

 Have a wonderful weekend! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that your back is bothering you so much. I hope you are able to complete a least a portion of the 5k. But you are wise to listen to your body, too many people ignore things and then really hurt themselves! It is wonderful that you've been able to run 2 miles...that's way way more than I've ever done.

    I do think some people just aren't "runners". I know I'm not a big fan. I have a lot of trouble breathing when I run. To the point where I was (mis)diagnosed with asthma! Even when I follow all of the breathing advice, I still have severe trouble! I'm trying to push through it right now, but if it stays this bad, I will leave the running to AJ and find another form of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm THRILLED for you that you ran the two miles without any tingling, I'm upset for you that the next day you woke up with back pain :( I guess the silver lining to all of this is that you've found out you have a back problem. That didn't come out right. Haha! What I mean is, you could have found out about the back problem some other way, later on down the road which could have really put you out! I say keep seeing the chiropractor, maybe with more treatments you can get the problem fixed and run another 5K, the whole thing in a few months? Look how far you've come. Two miles is still A LOT of running! I don't/can't run at all :) so I'm super impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its all good woman! Look how far you have come. I've been 'training' too and I can't do it either. So maybe we'll just have to support each other :)

    Jeff's family can't believe I am doing a 5k either because my issues, but I am excited since it will be my first! It may not be the first one you run the whole way, but maybe it can be the first you complete, and that is a victory! Stay excited, no sad faces, and get ready for the camera! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules-the fact that you completed the C25K program is a HUGE HUGE accomplishment-I'm so sorry that your 5K may not be the way you planned. But don't lose sight of the fact that you set out to accomplish something, stuck with it, and finished the program-that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!