Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Table Decorations: 101

Earlier in the year, I was asked if I would be willing to help with table decorations for Zachary's 6th grade graduation dinner.  I am sure I was asked because during class parties, goodies would show up like this: nothing super fancy, but I loved  providing crafty party favors.




In true me fashion I kind of took over.  Several of the other moms graciously offered to help and I told them I would let them know if I needed anything.  If the truth be told, I prefer to work alone on projects like this.  I firmly believe it is the "only child syndrome" kicking in.  I get the vision and refuse to believe that anyone can be on the same crazy train that I am.  Then I stress....I start wondering if I bit off more than I could chew, are they going to turn out the way I envisioned and it goes on...and on....and on.

I wanted the decorations to double as something that could be taken home by each family (i.e. party favor) and I wanted each one personalized to the student.
Graduation Party Centerpieces.
Source
Use Red or navy balloons for centerpieces on the tables
Source
I didn't find much on Pinterest that I thought would be appropriate, I think because this was only a 6th grade graduation - but the two pics above were my inspiration. I asked each family to provide me with a Kindergarten and 6th grade photo of their son.  I cropped and matted each one. Then I put each boy's photos back to back on a small stick.  I made some small THEN and NOW circles and also attached those with the coordinating photo.




I guess I should back up....prior to call of this crafty stuff  going on in my world, I did have some help.  I am a drippy spray painter.....I attempted it for the first time back in December and it wasn't exactly pretty.  Luckily, a dear friend was more than happy to lend a helping hand and he spray painted 10 terra cotta pots and saucers.  My mother, who has a bit of a green thumb planted 20 Portulaca in said pots.  And now back to the crafty stuff....

Zachary's teacher had emailed a great class photo of all of the boys at the beginning of school.  I made 10 copies and also matted those as well.



I also made homemade confetti with coordinating paper for the tables, but sadly, somehow managed to leave it at home when I was packing everything up.  I was sad when I realized it, but there was just not enough time to go back for it.


Then there was this banner....I loved the fun colors and the funky font, but once it was hung up, it was really hard to read it....boo!!!!!

Congratulations PRCA Class of 2013


My final pop of color for the tables were Gerbera Daisies.  Luckily, Zach loves Izze natural soft drinks, so there was no arguing when I told him we needed to start collecting bottles.





I added a small placard to each pot with the title of the famous Dr. Suess book "Oh, the Places You'll Go".  I put the finishing touches on the pots over at my parent's house since that is where my mom did all the planting.  We both got a little emotional as they were coming together...the boys are so grown up and the time has just flown by. The majority of the boys have been together since at least Kindergarten.


Even though the actual pot was not decorated on both sides, the picks that I placed in the pots were so that the decorations could be enjoyed from either side of the table.  Here are a few shots  from the party:




Obviously, I still have a lot of work to do with that new camera!  I am so glad that I was able to do this for Zach and his class, but I am glad that there won't be another graduation for six years!

5 comments:

  1. These turned out so great! What a special keepsake for each family plus a plant too. I'm sure they were all touched and impressed by your hard work! Going through a "real" graduation last year, makes me glad I don't haven another one for a few years either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome!!
    I love how you used "now and then" photos.
    So sweet and a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such Awesome Ideas! I Just Love How Everything Turned OUt!!!! I'm The Same Way, I Would Rather Do It On My Own Too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! I really love how you used pictures of the boys from then and now, it is so special that you included them in the decorations like that! I'm sure the families really appreciated getting such a fabulous keepsake from the graduation.

    I would totally rather make things on my own though. Its too hard to explain what I'm thinking, so I just do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your decorations turned out great! You are so creative, I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!